Ace down the T

Ace down the T

Claremont Lawn Tennis Club, Perth, Australia

Its an honor to be the Club Coach at Claremont Lawn Tennis.

We have 12 grass courts, 4 hard courts and 2 Tiger Turf. You can come here and make us a visit. You will be welcomed!

Would you like to have a lesson and maybe have your shots recorded with a high speed video camera?

just give me a call on : 0478 524 382

or send me an email: vazpintotennis@mail.com


Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Richard's 2009 Forehands

This was Richard's forehand when I first recorded him even before I started coaching him. From the start his Unit Turn wasn't as good as it should be. The Unit Turn is one of the most important concepts for a player to develop a solid and compact technique. The Unit turn is the first part of the preparation. It starts with the turn of the shoulders with no independent movement of the racket, hand or arm. As you can see on the first forehand, Richard moves his racket first and the shoulder turn comes after. The last three, four years since I've been using this great concept in my coaching,(thanks to John Yandell and his site tennisplayer.net) I've been looking at it with deeper eyes and normally I can detect an imperfect unit turn On most of my students straight away. Sometimes though I need the assistance of the high speed camera to be sure and for the student to see it.
As a result of an imperfect unit turn, the shoulders that start to turn a bit late in the swing, don't turn as much as they could. On his full turn, Richard has his shoulders perpendicular to the net and you can't see his back. If you compare it with my forehand (see Forehand 3) you can see that my shoulders turn more than perpendicular to the net and you can see part of my back.
There is so much more about his forehand, but let us see the new way that Richard found to hit his forehand a year later


08/02/09




08/02/09 (500 fps)



20/11/09

2 comments:

  1. Hey this is Richard. Unbelievable analysis by Andre. The improvements I have made on my strokes through video analysis, tennisplayer.net and Andres help have been amazing. It has completely changed the way I view tennis and tennis coaching.

    With my current forehand im going to be working on the timing on my foreward swing and when my shoulders start to rotate. Watching slow motion videos of roger federer on his serve or forehand shows perfect timing on these aspects. I definitely take my hands too high on my forehand thats something I want to change and some aspects of my left hand.

    I cant wait to record my backhand! I think i have finally made the transition to the straight/bent!

    ReplyDelete

Followers